Thursday, May 17, 2007

Michael Buble may have a funny name but he just wants to go home.

June 8th. My sister-in-law's birthday, also, my last day at work.

I handed in my resignation last Friday, right before going out to a big dinner with my colleagues to celebrate my engagement.

I didn't tell any of my colleagues, instead I just watched them all have a good time while three of my managers cornered me throughout the night and tried to convince me to stay. It was strange. My colleagues managed to sober up by Monday morning and corner me then after I told them. That was pretty strange too.

"Why" was the big question, so I had to pull out a couple of "excuses" if you'd like to call them that. Engagement. Family. Living alone is lonely (no shit). London's too expensive (give me a huge pay rise). London isn't home (I should go back to Bahrain). The last one got them nodding their heads in approval and they all told me they understand and wished me luck, so whatever my real "excuse" is, I'll let that be my "excuse" for now.

I say it but I have to admit, I feel a little uneasy about going back to Bahrain, whenever it is I do. I mean, I love Bahrain, my family lives there, you can get cocktail juice from practically anywhere, it's fantastic. But I have been away for a long time and I'm definitely a little nervous about moving back, whenever it is I move back. It could be on June the 9th, it could be 3 months from then, at this moment, I don't really know.

A year ago, when my future was uncertain and everything was pretty much a bitch, I was chatting with a friend and she asked me if I liked Bahrain. She asked because at the time, she saw me as a city girl and she thought London suited me perfectly. This could have been because a black cab had just splashed water all over us on the street and I shouted out "W*****!" She said she thought London was a good home for me and luckily I found a job so I made it my home for a while.

"Home is where your heart is, it's where you hang your hat" See, my heart is in Bahrain, but I don't hang my hat there just yet. I don't even wear hats in Bahrain. I've been hanging my hat here for so long that I don't mind it, I'm okay about it. I go about, do my thing, never once think of myself as a stranger but just another face in the crowd. And honestly? In a lot of respects, I've been alright...

But sometimes, sometimes, when it's cold (a lot) and grey (all the time), and when I take my long journey home from work alone (every single night), I think of what it would be like to just get in my car, go to my real home and see my parents hanging out or meet up with my man for dinner and talk about stuff in person and not over the phone... I wonder what it would be like to see my siblings on a daily basis (and not yearly) or go over to an old friend's house by not having to travel for 45 minutes to get there with dead skin cells and mice (even though we live in the same city)... Sometimes I get home and it's that meal for one on that empty dining table that really gets to me and I just feel like crawling into bed and pretending that "coming home" bit was all a bad dream, and that really, everyone's waiting for me in my real home back in Bahrain.

I've made a decision and "going home" it is, along with many other things that I am still sorting out (career, relationship, get-fitter-than-my-dad plan). For a little bit, anyway. Some people have told me to come back and that it's time, others are urging me to stick out and stay abroad, but I think I'm making the right decision somehow. Minus all the panic attacks and "this is all for you!" tantrums, I'm excited about being back home. Home where hugs are frequent and there's no need to vacuum, and the fridge is always filled with chocolate milk. So I'm in, for now, and I'm excited.

7 comments:

Pearl Morale said...

If YOU feel you've made the right choice, then go ahead with it... Good for you! You've accomplished a lot so far for a young woman of your age and I know there's more to come... Life goes in stages... And you're just crossing from one stage to the other, and it gets better each and every time. :)
I love Bahrain, and in so many ways, we're lucky to be a part of it because it's so easy, laid-back, and there's always plenty of hugs, love, and good times.
:)
I'll see you there at some point in life... Insha'Allah...

Anonymous said...

There's a big pink mug of chocolate milk here and your pink sister is waiting to drink it with you...and a straw so you don't get chocostache... oh, and you might want to consider coming back in about a months time... bikeshed

Seroo said...

Lulu with the Oyster for a Home - Life is stages and I feel like a super mario brother's character (a brown one) where I run through one level, get to the Boss, have to kick his ass before going to the next stage... I guess this stage is "going back" although really it's a bunch of other things I'm sure we'll discuss in the near future and not on this oh, so public blog (which my gorgeous IT team are probably reading right now.. Hello EMEA IT!) I'll always see you around, in any point in life, be it here in London or back in the hot hot heat... I think our masmoosa adventures will go on for quite a while... =) xx

Bikeshed - I hate chocostaches! I will definitely be coming back in a month's time for the new arrival.... a date that I can strive to be back by yet? Tell ze petite madam that I will come back and play with her all day long (until I get other silly commitments I have to take care of )

Munther said...

Oh how I feel you mate ! I struggled for 6 months after returning here ! But it gets easier within time ! I think that having your other half over here would help you a lot too ! But trust me my friend once you get used to life over here "how sloooooow it is and eaaasy going" you'll be fine ! Getting lazy is a Bahraini way of life and our national pass time ! :D hold on ! I don't need to remind you of that of course, you ARE Bahraini :P

Hopefully it will be an easier ride for you ! :) Take it as it comes "step by step" and you'll be fine and will fit in nicely ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how you could get a chocostache! But anyway...

as for everything else..


:|

Mo said...

I'm the Princess Daisy to your Brown Super Mario.

Reem said...

7abeeebti... it'll all be fine!! as much as Mo will hate me for this... ygooloon 'es2al emjareb wala tes2al 6abeeb'...

it does get hard...and then easier... and as much as london is fast paced... with a huge career and demanding hours.. bahrain isnt going to be THAT slow!

come back quick..if u want a nice cozy hug from me...i cant guarantee there's gonna be as much fat as there used to be.... :P

if anything.. there's gonna be a lot going on when u first move back.. so it'll keep u busy..and u wont feel the withdrawl symptoms!

i miss london too.. but this is HOME...

i sooo wanted to find a job there.. but when u compare a measly job there with the thought of missing my sisters' childhood?? the twins win anytime! much like u've got aya +1 to see grow up!

come back quick... i'm gonna hunt u or ur sis down for stories on how she deals with the new baby... !

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing