Thursday, July 03, 2008

Do I have to support QPR Now?

I remember once how Michael Parkinson gave a speech on Sky Sports about how important Barnsley are to him and how important it is to support your local team. He spoke about how it's part of the social-history of the town and how you "can't choose who you support, it chooses you."

I never grew up watching local football, although I did watch our national team in "big" matches when they would almost-could-have-should-have made it to bigger tournaments. I envied people who used to spend every Saturday morning in their local stadium supporting their team, whether they were any good or not, because you could see it was a part of them. I so badly wanted a team to be a part of me too, even if they were pretty rubbish - isn't that the beauty of the game anyway?



Somehow, the English premiership was always more appealing to me. Looking up to a certain older brother and becoming best friends with an Arsenal supporter when I was younger pulled me into becoming a Gooners fan, which included watching matches on weekends and chanting the usual hooligan profanities when necessary. People were skeptical I wasn't a North London Skinhead, but eventually the regulars at my first local (Woody's) took me in. So when asked if I supported any football teams, I always said yes to the Bahraini National Team and Arsenal.



Now I read this: Gulf Air to sponsor QPR? Is this even right? I looked around the QPR official website and didn't see anything that said so - but maybe I just haven't had the time to read up on sports news. So this is a pretty big Bahrain stamp in international football, does this mean we have to all start supporting this team?



The GDN put up a sneak-preview photo of their new footie shirt:







I always liked the J-Crew Sailor stripes, so good enough reason?

6 comments:

Hasan said...

I'm liking the new festive look :)

As for whether we should be cheering for QPR thingy - I have no idea. Didn't even know there WAS such a league that had weird teams with stylish jerseys. They do kinda look rugby-ish, maybe that's why they haven't made it to the premier league.

Angelo Embuldeniya said...

And they have the new merchandise with the GF logo up for sale:

http://www.shop.qpr.co.uk/images/101001-Large.jpg

:)

Seroo said...

hasan - I'm guessing Japan isn't all that big into the Coca Cola priemership? Tell me, since you've been a Tokyoite for a while, who'se your local team?

ange - well who would have thought! I might have to get my hands on a small sometime soon...

Hasan said...

Don't have a local team. In fact, half of the time, I don't know where I am or where I'm headed. Does that sort of make me an atheist in terms of belonging to a social clique (i.e., no team to believe in?)

Seroo said...

Hasan, it doesn't matter where you move around to, your local team is where you're from. Therefore, you should support SANABIS LOCAL BOYS TEAM. No YMCA pun intended!

Anonymous said...

You should support QPR! They are flying the flag for Bahrain in the UK. Be proud of it, We Are QPR :)

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing