Tuesday, April 24, 2007

On Going Home and all the Big Things that come along with it

It all ended far too soon.

I always knew that my 8 day vacation would fly by and I tried not to think about it too much. When my plane touched down on good ol' Bahraini land, my face stretched out into my side-ways-banana-grin and I vowed to make the most of my vacation time at home. Considering the short period of time I had, I think I did an alright job: perhaps I didn't get to see enough friends or spend enough time just hanging out with my parents, but you can only do so much in a week. To be fair, I think I did a decent job of doing a number of pretty cool stuff.

Much family stuff was in order: seeing my parents, my siblings, my little niece, it was all too good to have them back. I twirled around in my house and all its open space, leaving behind memories of cramped London flats and enjoyed being at home. So many changes to the house (our 1992 computer was finally replaced and Dad managed to move that horrid Spirit style, running horses, painting from the entrance hallway) but not too many to the neighbourhood (our neighbour's stupid well is still standing on the main street, inviting me to trash it if it's still standing the next time I'm back), which gave me a warm sense of comfort. The family are doing great, everyone looking fabulous, inches lost off waists and inches grown by the little one... My niece is fantastic and far more smart than I could imagine, I can safely say I've never heard a 4 year old criticize baby names by calling them "weak" before - I will definitely miss her and her strong adjectives the most.





Watching the F1 was a definite highlight; my first time on the Bahraini track gave me a huge adrenalin rush I didn't think imaginable. [insert teary eyes and national pride]. I don't think anyone was more proud of what this tiny little island has done than I am: The event itself was very impressive and I couldn't stop gushing at everything around me. I suppose I wasn't around to catch too much of it (only being back for the final race day) but I loved the atmosphere and the buzz on the island for that short period I caught: Bahrain, you did good, and from what I saw and heard, you threw one hell of a party.



Other Big News revolves around Big Life Decisions - for those of you who know me quite well, you'll know that I came back to Bahrain and got engaged to the most wonderful man on this planet. It was all very hectic - planning the big night, getting everyone together, fixing me up and meeting everyone - but it all went very well. Reunion of long lost friends and agreeable conversations made a relaxing evening for all, I'm very happy with the way everything turned out. I really appreciate everyone's congratulatory wishes to us both: you never think of it but it really makes a difference when you know that the people around you are genuinely happy for you in times like these. Of course, I couldn't be happier and I owe it all to the wonderful support I've received - thank you all for being a part of this special time for us, I hope I can reciprocate the love and comfort everyone has given me. And to the big oaf, I love post-us.



Lot's of other updates: Seeing old friends, making future life decisions, loving home and thinking hard about being away and how much longer I want to do this... I suppose it's all starting to come down to ground now, I've done quite a number of things I wanted to do so I guess it's time to re-write that list of "Things I want to Do When I Grow up" - maybe even think of scratching out the When I Grow up bit - and keep in mind that things are going to have to change a little... I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen next, but a nervousness that's mixed with excitement and a bit of determination to make things great.

Going home has put so much in perspective for me and made me realize how nice it is to be with your family around you all the time, even if they're a little mad. Touching down in London with the grey weather and detaching myself from everything around me again made me cry a little because I hadn't yet gotten used to being home, I hadn't had enough. It only took one long tube journey to make me numb again and take away all emotions because that's the way things are over here. I needed the break and I got it, with plenty of bonuses than I had asked for, and I am grateful for that. In true Soos fashion, I have to start my Bigger and Better plans, so watch this space for more...

14 comments:

Hasan said...

Once again, congratulations Seroo!

Wishing you both a wonderful "happily ever after"!!!

Pearl Morale said...

You've done a great job with your life and making sure all goes to plan, which half of us struggle to do on a daily basis and fail miserably most of the time... and I'm sure that the better and bigger plans will be just as successful. You're lucky, and I'm sure you are sitting somewhere and counting your blessings with a smile.
Congrats, you deserve it more than anyone thinks you do...
PS. I'll be arriving sometime soon this week.

LuLu said...

Congratulations! This post was full of life and hope. It makes me so happy to know that your life is unfolding as planned, and hopefully the future will bring happiness and more order to your life.. Good luck dear and keep your spirits up! :-)

Seroo said...

Hasan - thanks hasoon, I'm not too sure about the "happily ever after" bit just yet, I think a couple of mean dragons need to be slain first...

Lulwa - you hit a soft spot with your message, very few people know how much of a struggle life can be and you're one of them: thank you for your wishes and I hope that one day we can both look back at things and laugh until tears until we cry... I count my blessings and believe it or not, your funny face is one of them... =) Come back soon, London is sunny and I think a good day in the park is in order...

Lulu - Thanks for your wishes, I can't lie and say that things have unfolded as planned, but I'm grateful for how things have turned out... I am very lucky and I thank the Big Guy for it all the time, so thank you as well for your kind message!

Anonymous said...

Oh come on, why do we have to give things a sombre tone!

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA!!

NANA SOOS GOT ENGAGED! Who woulda thought you'd be the first one to go? (actually, the mysterious actuary and I had a bet - He said you, I said him!). Anyway, I suppose I'll get over it.

Very happy for you and Mr. Dr. Congrats, well done (and good luck) to both of you. Hope all goes well and you slay as many doctors - I mean dragons - as you possibly can :)

Do we have a wedding date yet? :P

Seroo said...

ohoo yeh el muz3ij =)

Odd - thanks for your note, I know you're still in disbelief (although you've been predicting this since day 1!) but I want you to know that I want you present in all celebrations, even if that means having to drag your keen over to Bahrain at some point! No wedding dates yet, I'll definitely keep you posted well in advance for any of that stuff... Thank you for your sweet wishes, it's cool to know it's definitely a celebration on your side and that makes me happy :)

(PS. I can't believe you called me NANA - khak to seret! you won't so young yourself baba!)

Anonymous said...

can i say that with a tiny little amount of jealousy ... enjuoy ur happy life !

congrats !

Seroo said...

lizardo - el fal lak, thank you for your kind wishes =)

ODD - a typo, you "aren't" so young yourself, just had to reiterate that....

amal said...

mabrook seroo ;)

Anonymous said...

Muz3ij ha? So not!

As for the celebrations:
- Old men sitting around eating machboos in a matam - no thanks, I'd rather not.

- Hot chicky babes gettin' jiggy with it on stage while I sit, eat my baklawa and watch - oh yeah baby, count me in! (Please note that I mentioned baklawa for a reason - hot chicky babes are optional if baklawa is present)

- Family gatherings where I could be the target of abuse from a certain older person - umm...maybe.. only if the place is big enough and I can find corners to escape to every once in a while!

Seroo said...

amal - thanks so much, look forward to some celebrations in BuGuwa in the near future...

ODD - what, don't you like 3aish el7sain?

sh7rourita said...

1000 mbrooooooooook my laaaaaaaaaaf hehehehe

Silveroo The Sailor said...

Mabrooooooooook girl!

Anonymous said...

a little bit too late i guess , the usual moo , and i think this is my first comment ...

congratulation & welcome back !

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing