Tuesday, July 24, 2007

On...

... Living at Home again ... Ups include never having to worry about dinner, never have trouble ironing a shirt and never running out of necessities you wouldn't always have in your home if you lived alone, like cotton wool or celotape. Downs include the obvious living at Home again - 'nuff said, I don't think I should elaborate anymore. I'm lucky to have supportive siblings who have also gone through this all so at least they don't argue back with me when I'm near throwing a tantrum (thanks guys).

... Working in Bahrain ... I'm really enjoying it, albeit it being very busy at the moment... A lot of people have told me before that "Bahrainis are lazy" but I can't really judge since I don't really work with any. So far, so good.


... Eating out in Bahrain ... Yum yum yum says my expanding waistline.

... Driving in Bahrain... What traffic jams? Or is this only because it's the summer time and lot's of people are on holiday? I don't get it... A'holes, however, I get and I don't like. Our GCC neighbours should not be welcome in our country no more.

... Shopping in Bahrain ... don't try and yawn through this one, Shopping here sucks... I miss boutiques, I miss market stalls, I miss unique affordable clothes... I walked into a boutique and picked up a caftan dress I loved but had to put back down because of it's 200 Dinar price tag. Ouch ouch. Also, I'm not the most fashionable person I know (far from it actually) and I can tell you that the definition of what's "fashionable" or "cool" in this country is really bland. Every girl here needs someone to tell her that she can dress however she wants and doesn't have to look like her 4 other friends who are walking in a herd in the Seef Mall. And by the way, not everyone can pull of red lipstick girls, not everyone...


As you can all see, I'm still in "adjusting" mode... Unfortunately, my other half (better half?) still hasn't come back so I'm feeling the pains of Bahrain alone, which feel magnified to the power of 100. A lot of things upset me and I've been trying to keep a positive outlook, which some of my friends find amusing and predict it to be short lived. I'll continue to keep positive, look at the bright things and I do continue to thank the powers above for everything I've got - it could be a lot worse... I'll continue to put down my thoughts, when I have time, so I can look back at this a couple of years down the line at laugh at how I feel at the moment. I'm looking forward to it.

12 comments:

Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

did I not advise you to take your time and only come back in about 10 years' time?

don't say I didn't!

welcome back and I am sure you will adjust quite nicely.

Seroo said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement big guy :) Unfortunately, other duties called (damn that husband to be!) but it's good to be back for the time being ;) it's never a "back for good" situation, it's always a "back for now"... let's see how Bahrain treats me!

Ammaro said...

takes time to adjust; take the good with the bad, but hey, its always nice living in bahrain :) hope youre adjusting nicely

Munther said...

hahaaaaaa ! :) Don't worry you'll be fine. When I first came back, I thought that I'd never adjust. Thought that the society and the country as a whole is soooo backward thinking and I remember that I was always in a depressed mood (due to a breakup which hastened my return) so it was such a hard thing to adjust and if you ignore the situation and take it a day at a time (seems that you already do that) things would turnout to be a doodle

Mo said...

Definitely other and not better.

And you are hands down the coolest and most stylish person I know. =)

Seroo said...

Ammar , you're definitely right, it's always nice living in Bahrain... I am adjusting nicely bar the few mishaps here and there that really are unavoidable :)

Munther , Glad to hear you've adjusted and done with that, I think everyone goes through it which is why I won't let it get to me... I'm so lucky to have such supportive friends that pick me up whenever I'm feeling blue and reassure me that even a year after moving back they still feel the same too!

Mo , Other, better and vital :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes...and then there is always the pink sisters who are very happy to have you here...come over and we can play...make you forget about the crummy stuff...I'll get some of that danish stuff and you get the buns, we can have rasher over...

Anonymous said...

aah beloved bahrain :) i always see it so differently now after living in england. but still, bahrain is bahrain <3

sarah

Um Naief said...

you are so witty and funny. i love the red lipstick comment... so true, so true! ;)

and you are right about everyone not having to dress alike. i've noticed that as well. i always thought i was the odd ball out for doing my own thing... but i'm sorta weird like that.

i've heard that your better half is here. the hubby grabbed his chance yesterday and asked your bro about dinner, and he said any time would be great. so... let me know what you think.

also.. i'd love to get coffee or something out... just us girls. i'll sms you :)

Um Naief said...

oh yeah, as far as bahrainis being lazy... i saw that in the govt sector. many were, but not all.

and w/ adjusting... well, i think that you'll always miss something from living abroad... and like it more when you go back.

Anonymous said...

I might be the one who knows what you are going through very very well. I just came back from UK this May after living there for 8 bloody years. I though its gonna be hard to adjust but was surprised that I adapted with the cluture here very quickly as I had never lived somewhere else.

The big problem comes with work environment. If you worked in UK you would feel like througing urself from the window when u start working here hehehe :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the job is at least going well. I wonder how you'll feel in Bahrain in the long run, after spending so many years in London. In my experience, that saying, "You can't go home again," is very true. When I went back to Canada, I felt like a foreigner on vacation.
When is the future Mr. Sara coming?
I'd like to visit you sometime. I think I need to see more of the Gulf.

Later!

Love,

Christine

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing