Sunday, September 17, 2006

Goodbye Smallest Street in Fitzrovia...

I walked home to my little flat for the last time tonight... The familiar route down busy streets passed too quickly as I looked around my soon-to-be old neighbourhood for the last time... Tomorrow night I'll sleep in a different bed between different walls and to different sounds I won't know...

A year ago I came to the city without a clue of where I was going to live... The flat hunt took one tedious day and one last viewing to make me fall in love with a tiny little flat I'd call home for the next 14 months... I remember moving in my things up those horrid stairs and exploring the neighbourhood with such wide eyes that everything was beautiful until it was drenched in polluted rain... How fast I learnt all the shortcuts, where to get the best fruits (that stall outside goodge street station) and where I can get a cheap cup of coffee & fresh croissant in the mornings I was running late to college (Fitzrovia Cafe on Tottenham Street)... I learnt quickly that Oxford Street is bearable on a weekday morning but to be avoided at all costs on a weekend at any time... That old plumbing needs patience & once you get the technique right your tempremental shower will be nice to you for as long as you need it to be... I also learnt that mice only come when you speak about them & old fashioned traps don't work - those buggars are smarter than you think...

A dear friend wrote something very sweet for me over here, and I think it's a good description of what went on this past year... along with dinner parties, long talks, sleepless sleepovers and lot's and lot's of love... Thank you lulu, I know this place was just as much mine as it was yours - I think we did good here, I think we did a lot of good... :) Perfectly situated in the middle of the city, this place was a haven for a lot of passer-bys, I hope it made them just as much at home as it did for me... I know the tea & blankets helped :) I'll be sad to move so far away but it's time for a change...

It's hard to say goodbye to a home, especially when it gave you the warmth you needed to come back after a long, cold day... I just hope my new place will be just as welcoming as this place was...

Thank you for the memories - it's time to move on...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey,

It was never the place that made people feel warm and cozy. It was all you, dear. So don't worry. Even if you do move, your warm heart will be going nowhere! Can't wait for the next time we meet. I'm sure that even though we'll both be living in different places than we were the year before, we will manage to have some good old fashioned crazy time..

I wish you a pleasant moving experience.

Miss you..

Khulood

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one, like the dawgs...keeps it real...though I will miss the spatial economics games we used to play on the Ox...still, onwards and upwards, stiff upper lip and what not, doggies-ho!

like the blog, Bikeshed

p.s. if you think this pink thing is going to maintain your special relationship with patootie, think again...she's into purple now...

Anonymous said...

Well what can I say? Your beautiful apartment was the start of your fabulous life as a law student and living in London. I'm sure this new (and very mature, hehe) apartment will be the start of a fabulous life of a young career woman.
hugs...

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing