Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Let's help one another


I park my car in a lot opposite the Regency Intercontinental Hotel which is run by the National Foundation for the Disabled. All the money from the car park goes to the charity and it even employs disabled people; it's a good cause that sometimes goes unnoticed.

I've been parking in the lot since June 2008 and now know the regulars who work there, a good bunch of lads who like to chat European football and always have a smile on their faces. They're forever friendly, even when they think they're done for the day and I drive up, apologetic to be waking them from their sleep to let me go - did I mention it's a 24 hour car park and there's always someone there? They do a good job those lads, they do a really good job.

I don't mind paying over BD2 a day when I know my money is going to a good cause. I received their publication appropriately named "Benevolence" (or "A'ataa" in Arabic) , a magazine with a variety of topics and news updates on different charity events and it's gotten me thinking of how else I can help.

I trawl the newspapers for upcoming events that I could participate in but I seem to be reading about events ended and not much that's coming up. I know the Internet is not the best place to look, but I'm sure there's a website or a publication that shows upcoming events and how you can participate that I haven't found yet. I've heard that now that the summer is coming up, things will quiet down so this may not be the best time to be active - or maybe it is? I have a demanding job that doesn't give me much time off, but I'm still keen to do something in my spare time when possible. Every little bit helps I suppose, even if it takes a while to find the people you want to help and organise the most beneficial way to go about it - as long as you get there eventually and you make a difference, big or small.

So, if anyone knows of a charity event or organisation that needs help, please let me know, because I'd like to contribute in any way possible. Post any events, organisations or even your interest in a comment: the more we spread the word, the more interest we can gather and the more people we can help out, in one way or another.

And if you happen to park in the lot opposite the Regency Hotel, give those lads some recognition. Like I said, they're a good bunch, even if they do support Chelsea.

7 comments:

Hasan said...

You've been parking there since June 2008?

You time traveler, you ;)

Seroo said...

Eep! Sorry! 2007!

If only the Time Traveller would give me a call...

Islander said...

well, royal uni for women have alot of special needs education seminars going on, a good place to start is to attend one of those then network with the people who are there, most of whom are intrested in that kinda thing.. or u can contact the down syndrom society urself and ask for any upcoming events..
or if ur really intrestend in doing something and have spare time you can help with the special olympics people, they do sport activities for people with special needs and its once a week i think..
theres aot to do, just gotta kno where to start :) find a cause close to ur heart

Seroo said...

Thanks sunshine, that's a great starting point, I really appreciate your help! There are a few organisations which I'm starting to get to know so I'm looking for ways to do my part. Once again, thanks for the input, I will definitely look into your suggestions!
Much love and appreciation x

Pearl Morale said...

That's a great idea, both the blog, and Sunshine's suggestions.
When I come back, I'll look into that too, and will join you... Let's do something good together :)
Love you always and forever,
xxx

Ammaro said...

i park there too! well, i used to till about 2 weeks ago when i left the job i'm in :p didn't see you there though...

hmm...

anyway, here's the deal. there isn't really THAT much going around in terms of charity events and whatnot, although there are a few places you can go to contribute your time and effort (for example, daar el aytaam).

truth is, cupcake, i know you have more potential than just helping out with certain charity events. you need to surpass that and actually help set up your own; it's not too difficult, and we don't have many people who actually put in the effort to actually do something like this. put your mind to it, whether you arrange for a few friends to help out somewhere, or maybe organize a big event and get some sponsors, and raise funds.

My wife's been working on something of the sort, but she's going away for 2 months and coming back in July so it's on hold for now. If you're still interested then, i'll let you know.

Seroo said...

Lulu, I'll be waiting for you. On another note, Little Miss Shah is coming to Bahrain for ONE NIGHT ONLY in July - please make sure that you (and your mum!) are HERE on the 19th of July... get ready for the sewalif from Kenya... xxx

Ammaro, thanks for all the suggestions, make sure you pass on my interest to the Mrs. and I'll be involved in any way I can when needed. It's not as easy as you'd like it to be so it may be a few months before we can do anything at all (especially with the summer coming up and waning interests) so until then I'm ready to help out where I can.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing